Thursday, April 17, 2008

You are my sunshine....







Finally, the sun is starting to shine out here. We got to 75 today and it was so beautiful. I started going through the kids' clothes and pulling out all their sweaters and winter gear. Mya wore capris for the first time this year and DD put on some pretty slick denim shorts.























I'm really looking forward to Spring. I have a couple of things I want to try to learn. First, I want to successfully try to grow some flowers and second, I want to learn how to can. I want to
can some pickled green beans and spicy asparagus. The only pickled foods I have seen here are pickled eggs and beets. The eggs look really scary. I suppose they taste better than they look. Please feel free to leave me tips or recipes for easy canning. I'm really into spicy, pickled stuff.














1 comment:

Calfkeeper said...

Good for you for learning to can. This isn't something you "can" but it's so EASY. (If you like dill pickles, that is.)

Freezer Dills

6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
1 large onion, sliced thinly
3 Tbs. pickling salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Tbs. dill weed
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)

Mix cukes & onion together and set aside

Combine sugar, salt, vinegar, garlic, dill, and red pepper
Stir until all sugar is dissolved
Add mixture to cukes
Mix well

Pack into freezer bags, squeeze out as much air as possible
Place in freezer
When ready to eat – thaw in refrigerator. (I put them in a jar after they have thawed and just keep them in the fridge. Husband doesn't like them because of the dill floating around in the water, but it doesn't bother me.)